Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Workout Entry 8/14/12

So, I said I was going to post everyday about my Bowflex workouts, well, shows you how dedicated I was to posting it!! Needless to say, I got busy with school and my crappy girls softball team. My team named "Pitch Slap" which ironically had crappy pitches and we lost most games due to walks, ended up being last in the league...WHOOO! So in your face!
On the plus side, I got some good exercise playing. Average practices about 2-3 times a week (yep, we still sucked!) and I made the most out of it so it could count for some fitness.
Anyways, I started running outside in my neighborhood. Yes, me who hates running with a passion and avoided all sports and PE classes as a kid so I wouldn't have to run. I figured, look at people who run regularly, they look awesome, I am going to do that and look awesome. So, I got the Nike+ app which is cool cause it tracks how far you run, the pace, the elevation, and other cool stuff. I simultaneously use another app called C25K Free which is an app to help you train for a 5 k. Basically, you run 3 days a week and each week you progress to different intervals. You can play music that's on your phone through the app or play Pandora while the other apps are running. The Nike+ app also lets you pick a power up song to get you motivated. I haven't used it cause I just play Pandora.
C25k app example: Week 1 you alternate between 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes, then Week 2 alternate 90 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking. Sounds easy right? WRONG, unless your awesome. Which I am, but it has been hard for me anyways. My neighborhood has a lot of elevation changes, so its great for building stamina, or so I think, but rough on a beginner runner. The C25k app tells you in a sweet voice when to run/walk. The Nike+ app tells you periodically how the time, distance, and pace you have completed. If you beat your best time or longest distance, you get a cool "Good Job" from Michael Phelps or other athlete. LOVE it, but kind of silly.
I have decided to stay on Week 2 for awhile, cause I am still pretty weak with running. My year of weight lifting and my 30 minutes of elliptical training have not prepared me for running on the ground. I will be honest, it has been rough on my ankles and hips, but the pain is slowly decreasing.
I will be better with the workout blog, so stay tuned. May even post some videos with the bowflex!!

No comments:

Post a Comment